Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Resolutions for 2011

If my bulging Google Reader list is anything to go by, then it seems 2011 cannot begin without a few goals and resolutions set down. One of Fast Company's bloggers already posted this, citing "Associating". "Observing", Experimenting", "Questioning and "Networking" amongst the key attributes for an innovative 2011. My past resolutions have ranged from the practical ("Get a job I love") to the absurd ("Be more slutty") to the conceptual ("Hedonistic Anarchy"), so what will I choose for 2011?



___

Staying ahead of the curve is certainly a priority. 2010 was the year when being a bit of a geek became mainstream. The most unlikely of my friends started using Twitter and my Mum got an iPad. Suddenly knowing a bit of basic HTML and talking about apps was not so unusual. In desperate bids to be bleeding edge, I found myself shunning YouTube videos older than a few days, I refused to go see Avatar, and practically passed out with excitement by getting the two minute screen grab of the Gap Logo Facebook announcement. As we approach the new year, I'm wondering how I can cure this digital paranoia. Well, fact is, innovation is a fast paced game - unless you are glued round the clock to various feeds, missing things is part of life. And, if you can't be there for the start of something special, I can at least strive to say something special about it.
Resolution 1: If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.



Linked closely to my previous comment, 2011 needs also to be about unchaining myself from both my desk and my devices. Many of the serendipitous and inspirational moments in my life have taken place when out and about. Before my iPhone, I'd sit on the bus, the tube or in a pavement cafe and watch the world go by - seeing trends emerge, overhearing conversations and watching life unfold. The mobile phone has replaced the cigarette as our tool for being alone in public. And, while definitely better for our lungs, it is removing us from the present moment. Our digital lives are so filtered and personalised according to settings and preferences, we cannot possibly access this kind of circumstantial chaos via our phones, nor do I really want to.
Resolution 2: iPhone, therefore I am not in the moment.



Finally, and perhaps more personally, I would like to find strength in 2011. Having an opinion takes conviction, writing it down for the benefit of your peers, your clients and even the world takes strength. If I am to become the best at what I do - and that is the plan - I will need to discover the strength to really go for what I believe. To do this, I will need to continuously educate myself by asking questions, learn from the best and be open to everything. I'll need to stop hiding behind my laptop screen and get over the fact that I'm usually the youngest, only lady in the room at client meetings. On this front, I'm afraid daily aphorisms will not cut it. Killer heels, however, probably will.
Resolution 3: Dress to kill it.