Pages

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The tipping point.

Tomorrow I will turn 25 and, in a month, this blog will turn 1. It's been an interesting year in both our worlds and we have each informed and grown the other. Since January of last year I have worked for four different companies - in each one learning new skills, meeting new people, and seeing the world from a different point of view. And during my tenures, this blog has twisted and turned as well. Sometimes bursting with thoughts, ideas and links, at other times tired and vague.

What has surprised me the most is the response prospective employers have had to my blog. A top London fashion PR agency, a global qualitative research agency, and a digital branding agency have all been considerably impressed by this manifestation of my commitment to my career and the branding industry.

I cannot over-emphasise how useful a blog can be to young talent. A blog is a free, quick and simple way to show people how you think, what you think, and how you work. Forget the 'hobbies' section on your CV, a link to a focused, dynamic website is simply the best way to distinguish you from the crowd.



Camillastore doesn't have a huge following, but it's there and up-to-date when I need the right person to see it. For me the blog serves as a living database. At work I find myself frequently referring it to it for this company name, or that clever website.

Those of you who do check back every so often, may notice that my posts have been flagging a bit. While it's a shame that the days of posting from my bed at 11pm are being replaced by crawling home from work at 8 and conking straight out, I have my blog (and the visual implementation of my skills) to thank for the amazingjob that now fills my days!