Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

Baby steps into the 21st century.

With so much of the internet buoyed by hype, rather than genuine usefulness, I have become somewhat jaded over the words "you simply HAVE to try this". But every so often, one's jadedness is unfounded as you guiltily discover the thing you simply HAD to try and didn't, is ultimately what has been missing so desperately from your sad little life.

First up is Skype. I tried it out a couple of years ago and, after attaching various cameras and mics and god-knows-what to my mac found the re-verb a total conversation killer. Yesterday, however, I gave it a second chance to chat to a friend in Austin, TX and rued all the cash I spent on calling cards that could have been more usefully used on shoes.



Secondly, Spotify, which makes itunes look like that box of vinyls in your attic. Spotify is not about ownership, it's about access. So you log in, create a playlist, and listen online. Thanks so Spotify me and my co-workers have been enjoying everything from 'The Best Music from the French' to 'I will always love you'. And, in case you're wondering, yes - that is a good thing.